Looking for a tasty serving of eggs and toast? Or a bit more? Hoping our trials can help avoid your errors! My husband and I eat breakfast out each Thursday, our day off. We have moved to Salisbury from London, so now head out by foot into town or by car into the Wiltshire coutryside on the hunt for a Cafe (pronounced "caff"). We share our collected experiences, and keep you up to date with the new venues we discover each week. Here goes...

Friday, November 15, 2013

Breakfast in Dorchester - better late than never

Once again the day starts later when my son is around.  So our day in Dorchester includes tea and scones instead of eggs and toast.  (Actually my son had something else, but for the life of me I can't remember what, and cannot identify the item in the photo.  Feel free to help me out.)  Quaint old eating house along the high street met our needs nicely.  And provided a warm respite on a cold wet day.


The Old Tea House, at it's called, was frequented by Thomas Hardy, so we felt we were keeping good company.  Though I wonder if he ever had so much fun as we did.  The house was once the home of the Dorchester Abbott – built in 1635.  It's the slanted floors and crooked beams that make the tea taste so authentic.  The blue willowish cups and standard design tea pot help with the this-is-an-English-breakfast feel, as does the single rose in the vase.  We feasted in the company of locals, always a good sign.


44 High West St., Dorchester, Dorset DT1 1UT
tel 01305 263719  
http://www.oldteahouse.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment